To represent the interests of Ireland’s primary and secondary dairy processors, including the specialised nutrition sector, through a comprehensive information and advice service, and representation at national, EU and international level.
Governance & Structure
Dairy Industry Ireland (DII) is governed by a Council composed of the CEOs of all member companies. Current chairperson: Mr. Jim Woulfe, Dairygold (2016 – Present)
The Irish Dairy Industry
- The dairy industry is a key component of the economy on the island providing much needed employment spread across rural areas.
- The industry processes approximately 7 billion litres of milk per annum, supplied by 18,000 family farms, many of whom are owners of the primary business.
- Since the abolition of quotas, Ireland is on the road to becoming a global leader in the development of a high value environmentally sustainable dairy industry based on our extensive grass-based dairy system. Irish dairy companies have invested hundreds of millions towards this goal resulting in over €4 billion in dairy product, ingredients and nutritional exports per annum.
- Irish dairy is exported to 155+ markets world wide with international markets beyond the EU becoming increasingly important. In 2017 these international markets are projected to take over 50% of Irish dairy exports for the first time.
- Irish primary dairies continue to be 100% Irish owned entities, and the quality of our produce is reflected in the fact that 3 of the world's major specialised nutrition companies have chosen to base key secondary processing sites in Ireland.