The following details the categories of unemployed individuals who are eligible/ineligible to participate in Skillnets training programmes, the conditions regarding course duration and further important information on eligibility and training programme participation.
Job-seekers Allowance (JA) / Job-seekers Benefit (JB) Recipients
Unemployed persons with an entitlement to a Jobseekers Allowance (JA) or Jobseekers Benefit (JB) payment from the Department of Social Protection (DSP) may retain such payments subject to the Back to Education criteria of that Department.
Other Welfare Payment Recipients
Persons in receipt of other forms of income support from DSP may retain such payments subject to the Back to Education criteria of that Department.
Other forms of income support include:
· Disability Allowance
· Blind Pension
· Invalidity Pension
· Illness Benefit
· Supplementary Welfare Allowance
· Adult Dependants
· One Parent Family Payment
· Back-to-Work Allowance
· Back-to-Work Enterprise Allowance
· Short-term Enterprise Allowance
· Farm Assist
Course Duration Conditions for Welfare Recipients
Courses may be full or part-time and may be continuous or staggered over a period of time. If the course is part of the Job-seekers Support Programme (JSSP) it will include a work placement, the duration of which is included in the overall course duration.Welfare recipients who wish to enrol in a course must contact us before contacting their Social Welfare Local Office/Scheme Area. We will provide you with the course code and information regarding the duration of the course.
Courses of 20 or less days’ duration
FDII Skillnet courses of 20 or less days’ duration may be pursued without prior approval from Social Welfare Local Offices/Scheme Areas. Individuals in receipt of a Job-seekers payment or other payment (listed above) should inform their local offices, wherever possible in advance, of their intention to participate in such short programmes. If requested by the local office, we will supply written details of the courses to the relevant trainees.
Courses exceeding 20 days’ duration
Individuals in receipt of a Job-seekers payment or other payment (listed above) must receive prior approval from their Social Welfare Local Offices/Scheme Area in order to participate in any of our programmes which exceeds 20 days in duration. For example, Disability Allowance recipients should contact the Disability Allowance Section within DSP.
Eligible Individuals who are not Welfare Payment Recipients
Individuals who are not in receipt of a welfare payment from DSP and whose circumstances are described below, are eligible to participate in FDII Skillnet training programmes, regardless of the course duration.
· Former sole traders and business owners
· Recent graduates who are unemployed
· Individuals who fail to qualify for social welfare payments because of a spouse’s income
· Individuals signing on for credits but in receipt of no social welfare payment
· Individuals who have recently accepted redundancy payments
· Non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationals holding immigration Stamp 4
Ineligible Unemployed Individuals
Skillnets, under its current mandate, does not provide training to unemployed people who fall into any of the following categories:
· Current participants on FÁS Community Employment (CE) Schemes
· Current participants on FÁS Jobs Initiative (JI) Schemes
· Non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationals holding immigration Stamp 1, Stamp 2 or Stamp 3
· Full-time students engaged in second or third-level education
Additional Important Information on Eligibility Criteria for Job-seekers
· The Social Welfare Local Office (SWLO) is the final arbiter of welfare recipient eligibility.
· Where eligibility has been determined, this is not a guarantee of selection. Some courses are not appropriate for job-seekers.
· An application to attend an FDII Skillnet training programme is not a guarantee of selection. An interest in participating in one of our training programmes does not confer automatic entitlement.
· Welfare recipients wishing to enrol on courses of 20 days or less in duration (including work placements, if applicable) are required to give us and Skillnet Ltd. permission to pass information (i.e. name, PPS number, course name, course dates) to the Department of Social Protection for statistical and recording purposes.
· Potential trainees should be aware that we may seek information about previous work history, education and career aspirations so as to ensure the programme they are interested in completing is relevant.
· If training occurs on the same day as a signing day, it is the responsibility of the unemployed trainee to inform the Social Welfare Local Office and arrange an alternative signing day prior to commencing training.
· All trainees, including unemployed trainees, are required to complete a Participant Profile Form and Evaluation Form after completing a training programme.
· We may contact unemployed trainees after a programme is complete for the purposes of evaluating programmes and determining how people have progressed since completing training.